Visegrad Four set to launch program to boost security at Libyan borders and provide aid in response to migrant crisis

The countries of the Visegrad 4 – Poland, Slovakia, Hungary and the Czech Republic, are set to launch a joint program to boost security on Libya’s borders to try and quell the number of migrants trying to flee the country as well as to try and improve the situation for them at home.

Former prime minister Bohuslav Sobotka expressed support for the project ahead of an EU summit which will be attended by his successor Andrej Babiš.

Czech financial daily Hospodářské noviny reported that 200 million crowns could be pledged by the Czech Republic towards security and aid. Money donated by the V4 would go to the EU Trust Fund for Africa.

So far, the Czech Republic has already provided funding worth 42.42 million crowns or 1.66 million euros.

author: Jan Velinger

Latest News

  • PM Babiš asks lower house to extend state of emergency

    10/30/2020

    Prime Minister Andrej Babiš has asked the Czech lower house to extend the ongoing state of emergency until December 3. The present state of emergency was announced in the country on October 5 and is in place until November 3rd.

    Mr Babiš said the extension was necessary to keep the emergency measures aimed at curbing the spread of COVID-19 in place.

    The new minister of health, Jan Blatný, warned that the infection was now spreading via community transmissions around the country. He said the current government measures could be sufficient, but only if people respect them.

    author: Ruth Fraňková
  • Deputies approve CZK 5,000 bonus for pensioners 

    10/30/2020

    The lower house of Parliament on Friday approved a proposal to give pensioners a one-off bonus of CZK 5,000, in view of higher living costs and additional expenses linked to the coronavirus crisis.

    The sum is to be added to pensions in December. The bonus should cost the state CZK 15 billion altogether.

    The proposal still has to be approved by the Senate and signed by the president.

    author: Ruth Fraňková
  • Mandatory testing of clients in social facilities to start on Wednesday

    10/30/2020

    A mandatory testing of clients in senior homes and other social facilities in the Czech Republic will probably begin next Wednesday, the head of the Czech Association of Social Services, Jiří Horecký, told the Czech News Agency on Friday.  The mandatory testing in these institutions was approved by the government on Tuesday.

    The first wave of testing will use antigenic COVID-19 tests, which are less reliable, but are able to indicate the level of spread faster than normal PCR testing. A second, more reliable wave of tests will follow.

    On Thursday, over 3,000 clients and nearly 2,200 employees of social facilities tested positive for Covid-19.

    author: Ruth Fraňková
  • Weather

    10/30/2020

    Saturday is expected to be partly cloudy to overcast with daytime highs ranging between 12 and 14 degrees Celsius.

  • Czech economy mitigates its downturn in third quarter

    10/30/2020

    The Czech economy slightly mitigated its fall in the third quarter of 2020, the Czech Statistics Office reported on Friday. According to its preliminary estimate, the gross domestic product decreased by 5.8 percent year-on-year and by 6.2 percent in quarterly terms.

    In the second quarter, the Czech economy experienced a fall of 10.9 percent, the worst result in the history of the independent Czech Republic.

    Analysts expect that due to the restrictive measures connected to the coronavirus pandemic the year-on-year fall will again exceed the ten-percent mark in the last quarter of 2020.

    author: Ruth Fraňková
  • Jaromír Alan to become Czechia’s new NATO and EU military representative

    10/30/2020

    Major General Jaromír Alan will be appointed the new NATO and EU military representative of the Czech Republic, the spokeswoman for the General Staff of the Czech Armed Forces told the Czech News Agency on Friday. He will replace Lieutenant General František Malenínský in the post.

    Major General Jaromír Alan has served as director of the Capability Planning Division of the Ministry of Defence. He has also worked as Chief of Staff, with the Czech Delegation to NATO HQ, Brussels and has combat experience from his deployment in the Balkans operations.

    author: Ruth Fraňková
  • Mixed results for Czech clubs in Europa League

    10/30/2020

    Slavia Prague were the only Czech club to do well in the group stage of football’s Europa League on Thursday night. The Czech title-holders beat Germany’s Leverkusen 1:0 in Prague, with the only goal coming from Peter Olayinka.
    By contrast Slovan Liberec suffered a 1:5 away defeat at the hands of Crvena zvezda Belgrade, while Sparta Prague lost 3:0, also away, to AC Milan.

    author: Ian Willoughby
  • Over 1,000 now in intensive care with Covid-19 in Czech hospitals

    10/30/2020

    Some 13,051 new cases of Covid-19 were registered in the Czech Republic on Thursday. The total number of active cases in the country now stands at 178,578, according to official Ministry of Health data.
    The number of deaths with the coronavirus has climbed to 2,862, with 540 of those occurring so far this week.
    The number of patients with Covid-19 in a critical condition has passed 1,000 for the first time, reaching 1,031. Some 6,604 people are hospitalised with the virus.

    author: Ian Willoughby
  • New health minister aims to replace fear of Covid-19 with respect for virus

    10/29/2020

    The new minister of health, Jan Blatný, has outlined his vision for the post his first news conference since being appointed. Dr. Blatný said the main goal for him and his government department would be to change the situation with regard to Covid-19 and the mood in society. He said fear of the virus, which was paralyzing and dividing people, needed to be traded for respect.

    The new minister said the current strict measures aimed at curbing the spread of the coronavirus would not need to be tightened further in a significant way. However, people need to respect them, he said.

    author: Ian Willoughby
  • Man faces terror charge after threatening to drive truck into crowd over closed bars

    10/29/2020

    Police have charged a man from Pardubice who is accused of saying on Facebook that he would drive a truck into people if restaurants and bars were not reopened. They are closed under Covid-19 restrictions.

    The man, who is 62, faces from five to 15 years in jail for threatening an act of terrorism, a police spokesperson said.

    author: Ian Willoughby