• 09/05/2008

    A state prosecutor has rejected a legal complaint by two employees of an Ostrava construction company charged in connection with a deadly train accident in August. Zdeňek Malý and Oldřich Magnusek could face up to ten years in prison for allegedly having failed to have taken steps to properly secure a bridge under construction over tracks in the eastern part of the country. On August 8 the bridge collapsed ahead of an oncoming train. Seven people were killed, and 70 were injured in the tragedy, described as one of the worst Czech railway accidents in recent memory. Both men charged have denied any wrongdoing; the police have not ruled out that others might still be charged in connection with the case.

    Author: Jan Velinger
  • 09/05/2008

    A Czech man and woman found guilty of murdering a five-year-old boy - the woman’s son - have been handed sentences of 20 and 24 years in prison. In an apparent act of revenge against the child’s natural father, Antonie Stašková and her partner Pavel Grepl murdered the boy last December – a case that shocked the country. The couple abducted five-year-old Jan Rokos, failing to return him to his father who had legal custody. The boy died from stab wounds and strangulation at the hands of the couple. Police caught the perpetrators by chance while checking the suspects’ vehicle last year.

    Author: Jan Velinger
  • 09/05/2008

    A Prague court has cancelled a ministry decision allowing selected roads in Prague's Pankrác neighbourhood to be widened in connection with two planned high-rise buildings in the area. The Ministry for Local Development supported Prague City Hall's decision on widening the roads in connection with the project back in 2005. Now, the ministry will have to again weigh the matter as a result of the verdict. Numerous activists opposed to the buildings say ECM, the firm behind the proposals, will have to go back to the drawing board or scrap the project. Prague’s Pankrác is home to a number of high-rise buildings but critics have long opposed new additions as a threat to the city’s historic skyline.

    Author: Jan Velinger
  • 09/05/2008

    Belgian club Anderlecht reportedly value Czech football midfielder Jan Polák at 15 million euros and won’t allow the Czech international to depart to any other club for less. The player recently told a Czech daily he had received an offer but admitted Anderlecht was against his leaving. The player first joined the club last year; unofficial estimates gauged his transfer from Nuremburg at around 3.5 million euros. Anderlecht coach Ariel Jacobs has called Polák one of the team’s “best players”, saying the midfielder had “enormous potential”. He also said he wouldn’t be surprised if Polák one day moved on to one of the richer leagues.

    Author: Jan Velinger
  • 09/04/2008

    The Czech prime minister, Mirek Topolánek, says the best advertising campaign for a planned US radar base has been the recent conflict between Russia and Georgia in South Ossetia. He made the comment in response to a question about the effectiveness of an official government campaign to win support for the radar, which the Americans plan to build in central Bohemia. Mr Topolánek’s words seem to contradict official Czech policy that the building of the radar base – part of a US global anti-missile defence system – is not linked to Russia, but to states such as Iran. Prague has signed the main treaty on the base with Washington and is expected to conclude a supplementary treaty this month. The Czech Parliament is then expected to vote on the matter later this year.

    Author: Ian Willoughby
  • 09/04/2008

    The government has launched an advertising campaign aimed at preparing Czech citizens for the country’s first presidency of the European Union next year. The first part of the campaign, which is intended to be humorous, features a number of leading Czech personalities, including scientist Antonín Holý, architect Eva Jiřičná and soccer star Petr Čech. Part two, due to follow in November, will focus on explaining the presidency, and will coincide with the unveiling of the Czech presidency’s official logo. The Czech Republic will hold the rotating EU presidency between the beginning of January and the end of June.

    Meanwhile, the Office of the Government is preparing to open a new press centre in connection with the presidency. It will be based at the Office of the Government itself, a stone’s throw from Prague’s Malostranská metro station, and will have room for 70 print journalists.

    Author: Ian Willoughby
  • 09/04/2008

    The number of people in the Czech Republic infected by ticks is at its highest in a decade, according to figures just released by the State Health Institute. Over 350 people caught tick-borne encephalitis while nearly 2,300 got Lime disease between the start of January and the end of August. An elderly man died recently of tick-borne encephalitis, the first such fatality of 2008. However, number affected could rise soon, with evidence of infection often being felt in the autumn.

    Author: Ian Willoughby
  • 09/04/2008

    The Czech president, Václav Klaus, is preparing for his first overseas trip since undergoing a hip operation in June. On Saturday, Mr Klaus will leave for the Japanese city of Tokyo, where he is due to deliver a speech on global warming at an economics conference. The president, who has published a book entitled Blue Planet in Green Shackles, questions received wisdom on climate change; he has described global warming as both a false myth and nonsensical fiction, and compared Green politics to communism.

    Author: Ian Willoughby
  • 09/04/2008

    The minister for human rights and minorities, Džamila Stehlíková, has proposed giving people the right to vote in local elections from 16, instead of the current 18. Speaking at a news conference on Thursday, the minister said such a change would involve young people more in public life. She said she wished to begin a debate on the subject and would put it to cabinet if it gains support. Sixteen-year-olds can vote in local elections in some German and Austrian regions.

    Author: Ian Willoughby
  • 09/04/2008

    The Czech Republic has appealed an arbitration ruling under which it was ordered to pay nearly CZK 9 billion (over USD 500 million) to the company Diag Human for harming its blood plasma business, Czech Television reported. The Czech state is demanding that the decision be reassessed by new arbitrators. Meanwhile, the firm says it also wants a new hearing under new, non-Czech arbitrators; it argues that the compensation ordered is too low. The case began in the early 1990s when the then Czech health minister sent a letter to Danish company Novo Nordisk, after which it ceased doing business with Diag Human. In 1998 an arbitration panel recognised the latter’s right to compensation; the wrangling since then has been about how much.

    Author: Ian Willoughby

Pages