Štefánik Observatory celebrates 80th anniversary

The Štefánik Observatory on Prague’s Petřín Hill celebrated its 80th anniversary with an open day on Sunday. The Czech Astronomical Society had worked for 11 years to build the observatory before it officially opened on June 22, 1928. It was seriously damaged during the Prague Uprising of May 1945, though within a few months of the end of the war was again open to both scientists and the public.

Author: Ian Willoughby