Renovation of Wenceslas Square to begin next week
The City of Prague has received the necessary construction permit for the long planned renovation of Wenceslas Square to begin. At least half. The spokesman for City Hall, Vít Hofman, confirmed that work on the lower part of Prague’s most famous square, will start next week and should be completed by the end of 2018.
Renovation, for now, will begin only on the lower half, from Můstek towards Vodičková and Jindřišská streets. That had already been classified as a mostly pedestrian zone despite the stretch of road. Now a number of minor as well as major architectural changes will be introduced.
Prague Mayor Adriana Krnáčová expressed something like relief in talking about the renovation about to begin. On Wednesday, she spoke to Czech Radio Plus:
“It will be paved in with cobblestones and serve as an area where tables and chairs can be set up and once again serve the public as a cultural and social space.”
Only delivery vehicles or vehicles with special permission will be allowed through and the space through which any car will be able to go will be narrowed. There will be access ramps to new underground parking, the mayor confirmed. The idea has been criticised by the National Heritage Institute but Mrs Krnáčová maintains that in any such project compromises had to be made. The mayor again:
The mayor has fielded some criticism that only the lower half of the square was being reconstructed for now. But she said that if the whole square had had to be decided, it would have taken “another 15 years”.
She said that of course the plans existed for the entire square. She described the process of getting to a green light now as immeasurably complex, saying there were some who would have preferred for the city to be preserved “as is” and never change, one of the reasons behind the marked delay.