Methanol claims life of 58-year-old
A 58-year-old man died in hospital on Friday, succumbing to methanol poisoning, the Czech News Agency reports. The man, from Moravec na Ždársku, fell gravely ill after drinking tainted liquor roughly a week ago. The police have charged a 37-year-old suspect in connection with the death, finding bottles of questionable alcohol in his home. Two years ago, the Czech Republic saw an outbreak of methanol poisoning after a deadly mix of bootleg alcohol illegally made it onto the market - more than 50 people lost their lives. Police suspect that some 4,000 litres are unaccounted for. If found guilty, the suspect could face up to eight years in jail.