Interior Ministry wants papers for EU citizens to differentiate between close family members, others

The Interior Ministry wants documents issued to European Union citizens here to distinguish between close family members (e.g. spouses, children) and so-called entitled persons (partners, dependents). Both groups enjoy the same residency rights in the Czech Republic, which is unusual among EU states.

The government is due on Monday to discuss the proposal, according to which people from the second group will not have an automatic right to enter the Czech Republic but would be eligible for longer residency permits and not have to prove the purpose of their stay. Foreigners currently residing in the Czech Republic will retain their current status.

Author: Brian Kenety