Elementary school pupils hospitalised after inhaling formaldehyde

Twelve elementary school students from Lysá nad Labem in central Bohemia were taken to hospital on Tuesday after inhaling formaldehyde when a jar containing the compound broke during a lesson at their school. The pupils, who are aged 13, suffered burning eyes, coughing and breathing difficulties. Fire fighters were called out to deal with the spill, while police are investigating whether there is a case of negligence to be answered.

Author: Ian Willoughby